- We led the formation of the Guatemalan Indigenous Committee on Climate Change (GICCC), which is the first lobbying organization in Latin America to advocate for the protection of indigenous rights during climate change.
- The GICCC is actively involved in the design of the UN Framework Law on Climate Change and the formation of Guatemala’s climate change strategies.
- We attend international conferences and organize meetings with environmental organizations and national and regional leaders to persuade these groups to include the GICCC in policy and legislation discussions.
- We advocate for including measures to protect indigenous rights and communities in legislation and national policies.
- We organize information sessions in indigenous communities and organizations to educate them about climate change and prompt them to participate in national and international climate change forums.
Ak’ Tenamit has participated in the UN’s International Climate Change conferences since 2009.